Community Members

Welcome to JabRef community! Write a short introduction here about yourself and your interests. Lets get to know each other!

2 Likes

I start with a short introduction.

I am Oliver and live near Stuttgart, Germany. My first contribution to JabRef was in July 2011 where I added a functionality to copy the BibTeX key only. I got more and more involved. First code and now more and more infrastructure (homepage, binary hosting, ā€¦) work. I try to bring up good issues to newcomers to JabRef.

Since JabRefs internal data format is BibTeX, I believe that JabRef is one of the most suitable tool to manage references - at least for LaTeX. I see the potential of JabRef to become the leading collaborative reference management software. Thus, I try to to push work on issues improving the user experience especially reference and PDF collection.

In the last months, it turned out that JabRef is more than a toy project, but simpler than other Java-projects (such as Apache Tomcat). Thus, it forms a good basis for teaching newcomers coding, collaborative coding, using coding platforms (such as GitHub), etc. Iā€™m very happy that a complete coding introduction courses are based on JabRef. See https://github.com/unibas-marcelluethi/software-engineering for one example.

All work in JabRef is in my free time and I do not get paid for it at all. The work in JabRef is rewarding for me since we are IMHO a great community, have really good ideas and provide and get great freedback to each other.

As professional work, I was researcher in the fields of BPM, Cloud Computing, and software architecture. In that time, I laid the foundation to be top 3% at StackOverlow. Now, my professional working field is researching for Mercedes-Benz AG.

Find more pointers to my research, open source projects, and professional work at https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6962-4290.

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Christoph and I live in Paderborn, Germany

My first contribution to JabRef was somewhere around mid of 2016.
During my bachelor studies I used JabRef together with LaTeX to write my seminar thesis paper and my bachelor thesis. The working group I wrote my thesis recommended JabRef for people working with LaTeX.

Turned out, JabRef was really helpful and when I noticed that it was written in Java and I also had experience in programming with Java I decided to start contributing, giving back something. I probably discovered a bug or an issue beforeā€¦
And today I am still here contributing in my free time. And I felt really welcome in this community and quickly became addicted to JabRef :wink:

During my professional work, I work as software developer/researcher for a non profit organization. We do research projects in the domain of Digitization for Civil Safety. I still use JabRef at work to collect research documents for a topic.

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
Am Daud Kakumirizi based in Uganda as an under-graduate university student at present time, and yet an enthusiastic programmer in making though already coding!!! Am glad to be part of the JabRef team majoring in reference management software.

I love robust reading or research in order to finish any task(s) I may be working on and this is helping me to learn at much haste and use several technologies. And am someone who is interested in learning new things and as well helping others.

Have used several open source software while at college and got desire to give back to Open Source Communities. When browsed around, JabRef took my attention about its amazing work and looking forward to contribute to this community!

3 Likes

Hi, I am Ingmar, commute between Berlin, Cottbus and Copenhagen (Germany and Denmark),

I love JabRef since I prepared moving away from Apple OSX around 2014. I soon migrated to Fedora Linux and use JabRef since. My contributions to JabRef consist of testing development versions, reporting issues, and researching existing issues on discourse and github, trying to identify topics that match each other.

I am social scientist, researching data practices and IT & society. Find some links to my research at http://orcid.org/0000-0002-1683-6983.

2 Likes

hey everyone,
I am Piyush, I am new to the open-source contribution and I found this repo somehow from a social source and I decided to start my open-source control with this repo.
but the thing is I am a little bit confused about where should I start. how to fix issues and how to contrib.
if anyone is willing to help me this is my GitHub:-piyush-1234 (piyush) Ā· GitHub and Twitter:-https://twitter.com/PIYUSH_BAKDE they can reply to me

1 Like

Hi, please check out https://docs.jabref.org/contributing

1 Like

Hello everybody, i am Thilo. Currently i am based in NĆ¼rnberg (Germany) and i study Political Science, but also have finished an apprenticeship in Mechatronics. My knowledge of programming is mostly limited to LaTeX. Maybe one day i will contribute some (Java-) code to Jabref. It will be a great day :joy:

I initially found Jabref (in 2021) because i intended to use a literature management software that works with LaTeX (and ideally also with Libreoffice and others). It had to be a programm that works under Linux, Windows and Mac. I very much liked its design and that Jabref did not have issues when sharing/transfering library files (bib-files) in real-time between different computers via Syncthing (https://syncthing.net/). Since then, i was able to discover some other really nice features and once i started posting on the forum and github (initially because of a few bugs), I felt really welcome by the Jabref community, so i decided to comment more frequently. We will see how long that lasts :joy:

Just like @i_ngli Ingmar, ā€œmy current contributions to JabRef consist of testing development versions, reporting issues, and researching existing issues on discourse and github, trying to identify topics that match each otherā€ and sometimes i may even be able to contribute to the solution of a problem.

4 Likes

Hi. I am Wikum Weerakutti. Iā€™m a student at the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka. Iā€™m familiar with Java, Kotlin, and C#. I am excited to contribute to JabRef and learn from this community.

Welcome @Wikum_Weerakutti!

There are many ways to contribute and learn. Considering you are familiar with Java, you could improve JabRefā€™s code. Look at Contribute to JabRef - JabRef first. That will lead you, for example, to Issues Ā· JabRef/jabref Ā· GitHub

2 Likes

Iā€™m Anil Tailor, Iā€™ve a professional working experience (Java, Spring, hibernate, angular) and Iā€™m excited to join this community. Although Iā€™m new to open-source projects. Iā€™m looking forward to collaborating with all of you and being a part of this great projects.

2 Likes