Two different articles with same author and date are identified as duplicate?!

I am using Jabref 3.8.2, but when import articles for the same author and in the same year, Jabref identifies these articles as duplicates. How can I solve this problem?

The best solution right now is to ignore this duplicates if you can detect them as non duplicates as a user. The duplicate detection sometimes behaves a little bit wierd and results in false positives.

Thanx Kolb, the problem of this issue is that JabRef import articles with the same author and year and assigning the same author’s name for both in bib file (@Article{ }). JabRef should assign different names since each article has completely different DOI?!!

With names you are talking about assigning the BibTeX keys?!

Yes, for example, you can import these two articles with different DOI, and you will see that JabRef will identify them as duplicates
1- 10.1103/PhysRevB.87.195439
2- 10.1103/PhysRevB.87.205427

I have tested this on the JabRef 3.8.2/windows 7 6.1 amd64 /Java 1.8.0_121 and these two entries are not duplicates.
I used to generate the entries with the DOI facility and controlled by applying Quality->Find duplicates.

Thank you for the feedback!
well, you are right in this case, but these two articles have the same article names in the BibTex source (@Article{Van_Duppen_2013}). However, JabRef should import them with different names so they can be cited separately and correctly. So I think JabRef should add like a,b,c to the articles names when they have the same author and date. I can not cite those articles in LaTex appropriately!

So if I understand you correctly, then the generated bibtex key of the imported entries is not unique? In this case I suppose it is a bug and would appreciate if you could open a bug report at https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/issues with the proper steps to reproduce it. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, exactly. That what I was trying to explain.

Thanks for opening a bug report! Follow-up is now https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/issues/2687.