Error of failed request: BadValue

I just installed JabRef 4.3 using the jar file on a Linux Mint computer. I get the following error:

$ java -jar JabRef-4.3.jar 
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  25
  Current serial number in output stream:  26

$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_171"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_171-8u171-b11-0ubuntu0.16.04.1ppa1-b11)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.171-b11, mixed mode)

cat /usr/share/java/openjfx/jre/lib/javafx.properties
javafx.runtime.version=8.0.60
javafx.runtime.build=b00

Hi,

sorry that sounds like a graphics driver problem which is not really related to JabRef.
A quick google search turned up this, but I am sorry. we can’t help with this.

I wanted to update to JabRef-4.3.1.jar since JabRef-3.2.jar Web Search for a DOI no longer works.

And I found myself with the same problem as David with JabRef-4.3.1.jar. Though I can still run JabRef-3.2.jar.

My java version:
$ java -version
java version “1.8.0_92”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_92-b14)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.92-b14, mixed mode)

So, something was implemented in JabRef-4.3.1.jar version that collides with a graphics driver which JabRef community cannot help according with Christoph’s answer.

Ok, that means no more JabRef updates for some linux users like me?

Hi,
this might be related to an external library. Could you please test the current master and see if that problems persists? https://builds.jabref.org/master/c
And coud you try to provide a stack trace or process dump or whatever so that we can have a glimpse seeing what this might create.

I managed to use jdk1.8.0_172 and now everything works fine.

It’s seems that not to many people is having the issue that David and I faced, so probably it doesn’t worth the time to investigate about it.

Anyway, thank you very much Christoph for your effort.