How to customize reference style?

Hello,
I would like to customize a reference style. I found the webpage for the export filter, I have seen there is a filter ad hoc (by the way, how do I install it? it is the same as the Options>Manage custom exports?), but is the custom export the same as the reference style?
Is there a tutorial on how to customize the reference styles?
Thank you

c

Hi,
are you referring to the entry preview in JabRef itself? Here is a how-to:
https://docs.jabref.org/setup/preview

It uses the same syntax as the custom exports

No, the actual Citation Style, how the reference will be on the final document…
I want to remove, for instance the tailing space that JabRef add to each call and the dots in the journals abbreviation (and the final dot in the journal’s name) in the reference list at the end.

Hi,

I’m a bit confused, as I don’t really know what kind of document you have. Are you using Open/LibreOffice? bibtex/biblatex together with LaTeX ?
JabRef has normally nothing to do with the format of the reference list.

Assuming you are working with LibreOffice/OpenOffice:

1. Create your custom citation style (*.jstyle) either by using the syntax for the layout file (which is the same as export filters use) or by using the external tool you referred to.
    For a thorough guide see: https://docs.jabref.org/cite/openofficeintegration
  2. Load your custom jstyle file in Jabref (also see: https://docs.jabref.org/cite/openofficeintegration)

You don’t need to install anything. If you refer to the Export-Filter-Editor. It doesn’t need to be installed. It’s just an executable file.

Assuming you want to create a custom export filter to create a html or rtf list of reference:

1. Create your custom citation style either by using the syntax for the layout file (or by using the external tool you referred to. see: https://docs.jabref.org/collaborative-work/export/customexports
  2. Load your Export filter (Options>Manage custom exports)

sorry for the delay. I am talking of the style files (.jstyle) and yes I am working on LibreOffice. Essentially I need to create a style like this

100. Pietrasz, D.; Pécuchet, N.; Garlan, F.; Didelot, A.; Dubreuil, O.; Doat, S.; Imbert-Bismut, F.; Karoui, M.;
     Vaillant, J.C.; Taly, V.; et al. Plasma circulating tumor DNA in pancreatic cancer patients is a prognostic
     marker. Clin. Cancer Res. 2017, 23, 116–123. [CrossRef]

from the standard styles such as Vancouver:

100. Khan NS, Ahmad A and Hadi SM: Anti-oxidant, pro-oxidant properties of tannic acid and its binding to DNA. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 2000;125:177-189. DOI: 10.1016/S0009-2797(00)00143-5

The main differences are:

1. short version of journal
  2. date/volume/page
  3. [crossref]/[PubMed] fields (but these I think are done by the journal so I can omit them).
    I understand that this:
CITATION
AuthorField="author/editor"
AuthorLastSeparator=". "
AuthorLastSeparatorInText=""
AuthorSeparator=", " 
BracketAfter="]"
BracketAfterInList=". "
BracketBefore="["
BracketBeforeInList=""
CitationCharacterFormat="Default Style"
CitationSeparator=", "
EtAlString="et al."
FormatCitations="false"
GroupedNumbersSeparator="-"
InTextYearSeparator=" "
ItalicEtAl="false"
MaxAuthors="1000"         
MaxAuthorsFirst="1000"  
MinimumGroupingCount="3"
MultiCiteChronological="true"
PageInfoSeparator="; "
UniquefierSeparator=","
YearField="year"
YearSeparator=" "

formats the reference I put on the text itself. The first question is: how do I use superscript numbers?
I then understand that the references themself, those at the end of the text are modifies by the fiels LAYOUT. So to pass from this:

100. Khan NS, Ahmad A and Hadi SM: Anti-oxidant, pro-oxidant properties of tannic acid and its binding to DNA. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 2000;125:177-189. DOI: 10.1016/S0009-2797(00)00143-5

to the example above, how do I modify this?

default=\format[Authors(LastFirst,Comma,InitialsNoSpace,NoPunc]{\author}: \format[Replace(\.$,)]{\title}. \begin{journal}\journal. \end{journal}\begin{year}\year\end{year}\begin{volume||issue};\end{volume||issue}\begin{volume}\volume\end{volume}\begin{issue}(\issue)\end{issue}\begin{pages}:\format[FormatPagesForHTML]{\pages}\end{pages}.\begin{url} Available from: \url\end{url}\begin{doi} DOI: \doi\end{doi}

I need to have:

1. author separator: ’
  2. short of journals with punctuation and in italic
  3. year in bold
  4. volume in italic
  5. page range
  6. separators: ,
    Is there a GUI to facilitate the construction?
    Thank you

I’d suggest you try Export-Filter-Editor. It has an GUI for most of your wishes. Within the program you can directly see the corresponding coding for the jstyle file.

Hello,
I used theeditor and I got this:

default=<u><b>\begin{title}\format[RemoveLatexCommands]{\title} \end{title}</b></u>\begin{year} \year\uniq\end{year}\begin{title}\format[RemoveLatexCommands]{\title}. \end{title}in: \begin{journal}\format[RemoveLatexCommands]{\journal} \end{journal}\begin{volume}(\format[RemoveLatexCommands]{\volume}).\end{volume}<br>
article=\begin{author}\format[Authors(LastFirst,NoComma,sep=;,LastSep=; ,EtAl= et al.,10,9),]{\author}\end{author}\begin{title} \format[RemoveLatexCommands]{\title}.\end{title}\begin{journal} \format[RemoveLatexCommands]{\journal}\end{journal}\begin{year} \year\uniq,\end{year}\begin{volume} \format[RemoveLatexCommands]{\volume},\end{volume}\begin{pages}\format[RemoveLatexCommands,FormatPagesForHTML]{\pages}.\end{pages}<br>

which corresponds to:

Weber M. C.; Simmel G.; Star S. Economy and Society. Journal of Sociology 1988, 36,45-69.

How do I set

1. the year in bold
  2. the journal as short and italic?
  3. the volume in italic
  4. How do I set the entries in the reference as a list with indent?

Thanks

Hello:
to set year to bold just set the format to bold in export filter editor:

As you can see in the code preview window this results in a plain html tag ():

ad. 2: Shorttitle is not implemented in Export-Filter-Editor, you have to take a look at the documentation: https://docs.jabref.org/collaborative-work/export/customexports

ad 4:Indent is inherited from the paragraph style in libre office. Export-Filter Editor uses the standard paragraph format of libreoffice by default, you can define your own paragrah-style within libreoffice:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-02-25 17-49-15

Thank you, now it look much better:

[1]Carolina Vieira de Almeida; Antonio Taddei; Amedeo Amedei. The controversial role of Enterococcus faecalis in colorectal cancer. Therapeutic Advances in Gastroenterology 2018, 11, 1-11.
[2]Ping An; Jeffrey L. Brodsky; James M. Pipas. The conserved core enzymatic activities and the distinct dynamics of polyomavirus large T antigens.. Archives of biochemistry and biophysics 2015, 573, 23-31.

The only issue is the list-style format. I don’t have a specific layout for lists.
Also, I do I save the session so I can use it again later on? The tool doe snot open style directly.

• To save a session in Export-Filter-Editor just save as *.fdat (formatter entries).

What would be the syntax to remove the numbering from the reference. That is, the final reference will be yes numbered, but nor showing the numbers:

Carolina Vieira de Almeida; Antonio Taddei; Amedeo Amedei. The controversial role of Enterococcus faecalis in colorectal cancer. Therapeutic Advances in Gastroenterology 2018, 11, 1-11.
Ping An; Jeffrey L. Brodsky; James M. Pipas. The conserved core enzymatic activities and the distinct dynamics of polyomavirus large T antigens.. Archives of biochemistry and biophysics 2015, 573, 23-31.
Michael Angeline; Eric Merle; Junona Moroianu. The E7 oncoprotein of high-risk human papillomavirus type 16 enters the nucleus via a nonclassical Ran-dependent pathway.. Virology 2003, 317, 13-23.

In this case, I can then select the text in Writer and make as a numbered list:

1. Carolina Vieira de Almeida; Antonio Taddei; Amedeo Amedei. The controversial role of Enterococcus faecalis in colorectal cancer. Therapeutic Advances in Gastroenterology 2018, 11, 1-11.
2. Ping An; Jeffrey L. Brodsky; James M. Pipas. The conserved core enzymatic activities and the distinct dynamics of polyomavirus large T antigens.. Archives of biochemistry and biophysics 2015, 573, 23-31.
3. Michael Angeline; Eric Merle; Junona Moroianu. The E7 oncoprotein of high-risk human papillomavirus type 16 enters the nucleus via a nonclassical Ran-dependent pathway.. Virology 2003, 317, 13-23.

Thanks