Changes: 3.8.2 -> 4.3.1

I had been using JabRef-3.8.2 on the old desktop and now use JabRef-4.3.1 on the new desktop. I have questions about changes:

1. Using the JabRef -> Lyx link icon I inserted a citation in the LyX text and the reference was inserted in the bibliography. However, when I tried to preview the output LaTeX refused because the reference has deprecated font syntax, specifically ‘\sc’ and ‘\bf’. These have been replaced with
    ‘\textsc’ and ‘\textbf’, respectively. How do I get JabRef to use the accepted formats instead of the deprecated ones?

2. Looking at refereces in the JabRef UI I see small, yellow triangles by some fields on some references. Holding the cursor over them shows me what JabRef does not like. With multiple authors on a publication, I’ve always specified authors as ‘Lastname1, F.I. and Lastname2, F.I. and …’. JabRef’s flag says this is not acceptable JabRef format. Why not, and what is?

In the title field when uppercase letters begin words other than the first one JabRef tells me that they’re not written within braces. Do I need to change all entries so that uppercase letters other than at the start of the title are within curly braces?

1. Is there a changelog showing all changes in 4.3.1 from earlier versions, specifically 3.8.2?

2. There used to be an address that allowed me to communicate directly using e-mail rather than logging in this web forum. If I can still do this, please share the address with me.

TIA,

Rich

Hi, i took a quick look into your question.

1. JabRef only pushes to LyX the information, which BibTeXKey should be cited, so this is probably a problem of LyX. Maybe you can try to create a new preamble with LyX and check your BibliographyStyle.
  2. The yellow triangle is, as you suggested, a format warning. I tried to recreate the error, but the latest dev-version of JabRef showed no error neither with ‘Lastname, Firstname and Lastname, Firstname’ nor ‘Firname Lastname and Firstname Lastname’. On the other hand, one possible problem is if you mix different name styles, e.g: ‘Lastname, Firstname and Firstname Lastname’. JabRef does not like that.
    I wasn’t able to recreate the issue about the title, sorry.
  3. https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/blob/v4.x/CHANGELOG.md
  4. JabRef is created by a community of different developers in their free time. The best way to communicate is via this web forum or by using the gitter-chat https://gitter.im/JabRef/jabref .

You’re welcome. :wink:
Carl

1. JabRef only pushes to LyX the information, which BibTeXKey should be
    cited, so this is probably a problem of LyX. Maybe you can try to create a
    new preamble with LyX and check your BibliographyStyle.

Carl,

Yes, it was the bibliography style: there are depercated font codes in the
one I originally selected (as well as in others). So I changed the style to
chicagoa.bst and this issue has been resolved.

1. The yellow triangle is, as you suggested, a format warning. I tried to
    recreate the error, but the latest dev-version of JabRef showed no error
    neither with ‘Lastname, Firstname and Lastname, Firstname’ nor ‘Firname
    Lastname and Firstname Lastname’. On the other hand, one possible problem
    is if you mix different name styles, e.g: ‘Lastname, Firstname and
    Firstname Lastname’. JabRef does not like that. I wasn’t able to recreate
    the issue about the title, sorry.

I have always used the same format for multiple authors. I will try the
latest development version (and report any glitches I see).

1. https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/blob/v4.x/CHANGELOG.md

Thanks.

1. JabRef is created by a community of different developers in their free
    time. The best way to communicate is via this web forum or by using the
    gitter-chat https://gitter.im/JabRef/jabref .

Yeah, that’s how all F/OSS are created and I’ve contributed to several in
the 20+ years I’ve used linux. I also found the address directly to the mail
list which also posts to the web forum. I have always preferred having
messages pushed to me via mail lists than having to log in to a web site and
pull down the messages. To each their own.

Regards,

Rich

1 Like

I also found the address directly to the mail list which also posts to the web forum.

Oh, i misunterstood you there. Sorry.

The yellow triangle is a format warning, when the author format does not comply to the biblatex specification.
It’s part of the integrity check which ensures that your entries are consistent

Thanks Christoph. I changed the bibliography style from authordate? to
chicagoa and this allows TeX to compile the document. Haven’t looked at the JabRef
entries yet.

Regards,

Rich