JabRef 5.10 groups entry count not showing total number

Recently tried updating from JabRef 5.9 to 5.10 and quickly noticed a change that I don’t see reported in the list of changes.

Under 5.9, ‘All Entries’ under Filter groups reported the precise numbers of entries in my very large (>11,700 entries) bibliography.

Under 5.10, ‘All Entries’ reports as 11.7K - a serious loss in precision considering that I’ve noticed several errors converting from BibDesk in the single digits differences in number of entries.

Is there a way to restore the previous behavior/precision? What is the justification of such a change?

Currently I’ve rolled back to 5.9 since I need to be able to trust the counts as I continue to tune my conversion code.

Thanks,
Tom

I would like the old counts back too but as a solution I requested a tooltip with the exact count!
Just go with your mouse over the count…

I would’like to know too why this count was changed. I think it was better in 5.9 and didn’t need any change.

Maybe the developers want to restore the old count?
I don’t see the goal why it was changed. And the tooltip just is exactly the old count…

There was an issue with the UI that looked very half-backed. Another user reported even more serious issues, as it cut off the numbers for large libraries, which was fixed via workaround here: number of library items not fully displayed -> show as tooltip · Issue #10208 · JabRef/jabref · GitHub.

Nice to know I’m not alone with this problem.

However, I followed the link below, and searched the docs and I have yet to find a clear explanation of what is meant by a ‘tooltip’. I suspect this is an application-specific use of this term.

Thanks,
Tom

@astronomertom Tooltip or hint is a simple element which shows some help text when hovering over with the mouse.

The original issue was reported here: Groups only show 4 digit number of entries · Issue #8797 · JabRef/jabref · GitHub

The suggestion to show the exact count as a tooltip was recently implemented and is already available in the development version:

You can get the latest version here:

Remember to make a backup of your library before trying out the new version.

what I don’t understand: why is the widget not made bigger so more digits fit inside? Then no tooltip is needed and all digits are shown.
There is room enough to enlarge it and even the left panel can be resized by the user.

@astronomertom In the latest development version, there is now a mouseover showing the concrete number of entries:

Works for subgroups as well.

https://builds.jabref.org/main/

what I don’t understand: why is the widget not made bigger so more digits fit inside? Then no tooltip is needed and all digits are shown.

This was technically not feasible as the display was also dependent on the font size/scaling and, unfortunately, not all of JabRef’s GUI is correctly working with scaling.