Poor performance of jabref 4

Hi I have about 500 entries, and I gave version 4 a try, but it is extremely slow and lags for basic operations. I have currently went back to version 3. I am on Windows 10. Even version 3 is slow in certain operations, but it’s still reasonable, unfortunately the same cannot be said about version 4.

Hi,

we are aware that JabRef Version 4.0 was unfortunately not that performant. However, we would like you to try out the latest master dev version which will be soon released as 4.2. We have been working on a lot of performance improvements since the release of 4.0.

https://builds.jabref.org/master/

Regards
Christoph

Good morning,

I have the same problem with a database of 11 000 entries! The program is almost unusable at the moment.

I have a suggestion for an improvement: As fas as I see it, one problem is due to the continous updates of the displayed table when a search is written or an entry is edited. Like when I’m searching for Szyszka, I enter “S” and it gives me 11862 results, I write “Sz” and I’m at 3307 results and so on. These updates are not necessary in my opinion.

How about changing the program in a way, that an update of the main table is only done when the command is finished by a return?

I’d imagine that would speed up the program very much.

Best regards

Bernd

Hi,

I made the search now a bit more performant by adding a short delay before the actual search is executed. I tested this with a database containing around 6500 entries.
Could you please test this version here and report back if it feels better?

https://builds.jabref.org/improveSearchPerformance/

Regards
Christoph

The feature has just been merged into master., so you can try out the latest dev version

I am just trying out the 64-bit developer snapshot 4.3 from May 5, however the performance is still not convincing. Sometimes, it uses 100% of a CPU permanently without (visually) doing anything. Also the text replacement popups while entering a title etc. feel rather disturbing. The text editing in jabref-3.x felt much more smooth.

The new group dialog in the jabref-4.x versions is something which I find especially odd. In general, groups can be hierarchically organized in a tree, and in Jabref-3.x it was always possible to click on the ‘+’ symbols for folding / unfolding the sub-branches of the group tree or right-clicking on a group entry without immediately affecting the filtering state of the current entry list.

In Jabref-4.x it is still possible to right-click on a group entry and “add selected entries to this group”, however at the same time my selected entry in the entry viewer disappears (because it is not yet in that group at the time of right-clicking).

Additionally, there is now an extra dialog “add to group”, which is accessible via right-clicking on the literature entry. This yields a separate pop-up box with the complete group tree in a different style (resembling the former group window from jabref-3), however it allows only assigning to one group at a time and upon re-opening all of the sub-trees which I browsed are closed again.

I am not sure if I am doing something fundamentally wrong (maybe some inappropriate settings?) or if there are still changes regarding the group dialog in the pipeline.

Hi,

we are aware of the performance problems and did not yet find out why and where exactly they happen. But we are working on that. But currently we are a bit low on developer resources.

You can assign an entry to a group by Drang and drop, just move it from th emaintable to the group.
You can also expand your sub tree and then click on “All entries” to show all entries again and then drag and drop the entry to the groups you want it to have it.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Christoph

Hi Christoph, thanks for your reply.

You can assign an entry to a group by Drang and drop, just move
it from th emaintable to the group. You can also expand your sub tree and
then click on “All entries” to show all entries again and then drag and drop
the entry to the groups you want it to have it.

yes, this is some workaround which I also used in the meantime. However it still feels rather strange, in jabref-3 it was much easier. I wish you good luck in finding the performance issues and appreciate your work.

Could you please open a new issue at Issues · JabRef/jabref · GitHub for this problem, so that we don’t forget to fix it. Thanks!

Dear Tobias,

thanks for your feedback, I have now opened a new issue at GitHub under the link which you sent me.

With best regards

Andreas Pflug

1 Like