Command line custom exports

I’d like to be able to use a custom export layout with command-line export, but this doesn’t currently appear to be possible.
for example:
java -jar ~/apps/JabRef-3.8.1.jar -n true -o test.html,thread.layout -i input.bib
this yields: Unknown export format: thread.layout

What if there was a way to include a path to my layout? then I could auto-generate and auto-update html files in a cron job based on my database updates (for example).

Please vote if you support this proposal:

• I would like to have this feature, too!
  • I don’t care.

0 voters

Why don’t you create a custom Exporter In Options-> Manage custom exports and specify this in the command line?

Regards
Christoph

1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t know you could do that; it works perfectly!

Follow-up question: is there any way to specify a sort order for these custom exports? The tutorials only explain how to format individual entries, and then the export is happening in whatever order the file happens to be in, but I’d like to specify the export in chronological order… can’t find that anywhere in the docs.

Hi,

glad that it works for you :slight_smile:

you can define the sort order in the settings in JabRef in the Preferences -> Export Sorting

Regards
Christoph

Excellent – but what if I want a different sort order for different formatters? Is that not possible?

Is anyone aware of a way to specify sort order on the command line? Just found that I ran into this again, almost a year later. For example, some exports I want to sort by publication date, others by timestamp, others by rating.