Groupstree still existing?

I have version 3.3dev installed. This is now dating a bit and there seems to have taking place a lot of interesting development and seemingly for the database, which might be a problem for me. I’m in the moment still using Mendeley more or less in parallel, as in Mendeley I have many groups and all of my 5000 references are grouped. I had the foresight to include the group names as keywords. So when importing into JabRef I can use the keyword-to-group function (still existing in the newest version ?).
However to not having to recreate all of my folders (>400), I have managed to transform a folder list that I have in text format into the format used in the JabRefBase file under the heading “@comment{jabref-meta: groupstree:”.
I have not yet finished checking all of my references for the correct keyword entries, that’s why I have not moved yet.
Long story, short question : before installing and testing the newest version, I would like to know if the database structure is still containng this “groupstrees” or if this had completely changed.
Thanks very much in advance for your time

Cheers

Oliver

Long story, short question : before installing and testing the newest
version, I would like to know if the database structure is still containng
this “groupstrees” or if this had completely changed.

Oliver,

In version 3.6 I have the groups in the left window sorted by keyword. Is
this what you’re asking?

Rich

Hello Rich,
thanks for your answer, but it is not quite responding to my question: What I would like to know is : is there still a “JabRefBase” file that is readable with a text editor and does this file still have, at the end, a section which is called “@comment{jabref-meta: groupstree:”.

Cheers

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

yes the GroupsTree at the end of the file is still there.
However, there was one change in the recent versions on how static groups are saved.
Previously, you had an item in the grouptree which contained the group name and the references to the bibtex keys. Now the groupstree only contains the name of group while the referenced entries have a new groups field where the group name is stored.
As an example, you can have a look at https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/blob/master/src/test/resources/testbib/complex.bib which uses the new storage format.

The old format is automatically converted to the new one if you open and save the database (just make sure that no groups have the same name as this currently makes problems).