Is it possible to customize the name of downloaded file when I use 'Look up full text document'?

In Jabref 3.4, it seems the file downloaded by the ‘Quality’>‘Look up full text document’ function, will be named as the title of the bibtex entry.
I know in older version Jabref 2.10. One can use the ‘local copy’ plugin to download and rename the attached file. For example, one can use ${TITLE}_${JOURNAL} (${YEAR}) ${PAGES} in ‘local copy’ to customize the filename.
I am wondering is it possible to do this when I use ‘Look up full text document’ in Jabref 3.4?
Thanks very much in advance!

Hi!
Yes, this is possible in JabRef 3.4.

Open the “Preferences” and go to the “Import” settings:

Here you can find the setting “Filename fromat pattern” where you can enter the following:

\begin{title}\format[RemoveBrackets]{\title}\end{title}_\journal(\year) \pages

This should do the trick :wink:

Hi! Thanks very much! It works.
I have one more request, could you please tell me what is the keywords and syntax which can be used here? Maybe I want to change the style sometime. I could not find this in the help page.
Thanks!

As far as I know you can use all fields and formatters available for a “CustomExport”.

The help for CustomExport can be found here.

Dear Sir,
Thank you very much! I have read the doc page, however it seems a little complicated for beginners like me. I still have several questions. Could you please help me? And I want my file name have the style of title_journal volume (year) pages or title_journal volume (year) firstpage-lastpage.

1. Sometimes, the name of the entry contains latex characters, and I want to replace them with normal characters.
  2. Sometimes volume, year or pages maybe empty in the bib file. According to the doc page of CustomExport, I want to add \begin{} \end{} between them.
    Finallly, I wrote my format string (based on the previous one you told me) like \begin{title}\format[RemoveBrackets,FormatChars,RemoveLatexCommands]{\title}\end{title}_\begin{journal}\format[JournalAbbreviator]{\journal}\end{journal} \begin{volume}{\volume}\end{volume} (\begin{year}{\year}\end{year}) \begin{pages}{\pages}\end{pages}
    But, when I use this format string to download the file of one of my entry which has the name ‘Collision cascades in pure $\updelta$-plutonium’, it gives ‘Collision cascades in pure updelta-plutonium_J. Comput.-Aided Mater. Des. {14} ({2007}) {367-378}’.
    Could you please tell me how should I modify my string?
    Many many thanks!

Your string is already looking good. Some minor changes:

\begin{title}\format[FormatChars,RemoveBrackets]{\title}\end{title}_\begin{journal}\format[JournalAbbreviator]{\journal}\end{journal} \begin{volume}\volume\end{volume} \begin{year}(\year)\end{year} \begin{pages}\pages\end{pages}

Don’t ask me why, but the { } braces around \volume, \year and \pages are not needed. And to omit the ( ) braces if the year is empty they have to be put between \begin{year} and \end{year}

Regarding the latex commands: You can simply use the “FormatChars” formatter as this formatter should already remove the LatexCommands - however, it is not working correctly as the braces are removed before. So switching the order to \begin{title}\format[FormatChars,RemoveBrackets]{\title}\end{title} should work.

Dear Sir,
I think the string works very well now. Thanks very much for your kind help!:thumbsup:

Dear Geiger,
I have a further question about the previous question. Could you please help me?
In bib files, usually it uses – between firstpage and lastpage, like 21–31, in order to print an ‘en dash’ in the generated pdf file. If I want to replace the ‘–’ to ‘-’ in the name of the downloaded file. I read the help doc and tried:\begin{pages}\format[Replace("--,-")]\pages\end{pages}. However, it does not work. Could you please give me some suggestion?
Thanks very much!

Hi!
Yes, this is also possible and as this is a rather common problem there also exist a dedicated formatter for this: FormatPagesForHTML.
To use the formatter for pages you’ll have to write:
\begin{pages}\format[FormatPagesForHTML]{\pages}\end{pages}

Dear Geiger,
Thanks very much!
You forgot one \ before the word format. However, I add it myself and it works.
It is very nice of you to give me so much help!

You’re welcome and thanks for the hint. I corrected it in the previous posting.

Hi,
Does this functionality still exist in JabRef 4.3.1?
I tried
“\begin{title}\format[RemoveBrackets]{\title}\end{title}_\journal(\year) \pages”
as suggested above in the second post. But the renamed file had only
“begin{title}format{title}end{title}_journal(year) pages.pdf”
instead of the desired file name.

I actually would like to have a file name like:
Author1–Author2–Author3–…AuthorN–[year]_[journal]_[title].

In the very old version I could do this with a plugin and the pattern like
[authors:regex:,:–][year]_[journal]_[title].

Anyone can help?