JabRef 5.6 Need help with export from JabRef to Microsoft Word - Entry Preview of APA 7 not rendering correctly

Hi Everyone
I need a peace of advice please I’m using Jabref for some time and was very happy, until…
I needed to make a real Bibliography list, and then it didn’t got out properly (APA style, so if just keeping a reading list, so Jabref is not enough, for me…)
I tried Citavi - it seems to have same functions as Jabref but even better and making the list correctly
I really don’t want to leave the Jabref but something doesn’t work well for me
can you give some advice please?

I feel you.

Could you please provide an example of

1. the result
  2. The expected result

Also, which version of JabRef is this? And are you trying to push to OpenOffice, Microsoft Word or to LateX?

Hi
my ver. is 5.6

1. the result:
    G. Civitarese, “Experiences in Groups as a key to ”Bion,” The International Journal of Psychoanalysis, vol. 102, Art. no. 6, Jun. 2021.
  2. expected:
    Civitarese, G. (2021). Experiences in Groups as a key to Bion. The International Journal of Psychoanalysis , 102 (6), 1071-1096.

I’m just copying from the preview for now, before exporting large amount of Details

Could you please show what is in the biblatex source tab of this entry?
Are you using JabRef in BibTeX or in BibLaTeX mode? This is relevant.
Still, to where are you trying to export to? (curious)
And which version of APA? 6 or 7?

Unfortunately the issue with number and issue and eid is known. There is a pull-request in the pipeline, but has not recently been worked on. If you have some programming skills, maybe you or a colleague could finish it? See here: Fix CSL rendering in case of article by koppor · Pull Request #8607 · JabRef/jabref · GitHub

With regard to the date being at the wrong place, I don’t know how you managed to do this.

For the following entry:

@Article{Civitarese2021eig,
  author       = {Giuseppe Civitarese},
  date         = {2021},
  journaltitle = {The International Journal of Psychoanalysis},
  title        = {Experiences in Groups as a key to “late” Bion},
  doi          = {10.1080/00207578.2021.1927045},
  eprint       = {https://doi.org/10.1080/00207578.2021.1927045},
  note         = {PMID: 34180781},
  number       = {6},
  pages        = {1071-1096},
  url          = {https://doi.org/10.1080/00207578.2021.1927045},
  volume       = {102},
  publisher    = {Routledge},
}

I get the following preview when using APA 7th edition in JabRef development version JabRef 5.7–2022-06-15–cb5fe60
Linux 5.4.0-122-generic amd64
Java 18.0.1
JavaFX unknown

Civitarese, G. (2021). Experiences in Groups as a key to “late” Bion. The International Journal of Psychoanalysis, 102, 1071–1096. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207578.2021.1927045

thank you,
my library is inBibtex mode
at the end I’ll need it in a word doc.
I was using the last APA 7 (with abstract)

@Article{Civitarese2021,
  author       = {Giuseppe Civitarese},
  journal      = {The International Journal of Psychoanalysis},
  title        = {Experiences in Groups as a key to {\textquotedblleft}late{\textquotedblright} Bion},
  year         = {2021},
  month        = jun,
  number       = {6},
  pages        = {1071--1096},
  volume       = {102},
  creationdate = {2022-05-25T05:37:30},
  doi          = {10.1080/00207578.2021.1927045},
  file         = {:XXX- Experiences in groups as key to late Bion.pdf:PDF},
  groups       = {Psychoanalysis},
  publisher    = {Informa {UK} Limited},
  readstatus   = {skimmed},
}

no programing skill at all unfortunately
I see that at the Jabref site the most updated ver. is: 5.6

now I changed it to just apa7 and it works ( I didn’t see the option first :grimacing: ) Thank you!
and it copied it correctly to Word,
but is there a way to copy/export all my list to word correctly?

In JabRef 5.6, exporting from JabRef to Microsoft Word is a little more difficult as compared to OpenOffice/LibreOffice or LaTeX based workflows.

Check out Export to Microsoft Word - JabRef for normal export. You can also try Microsoft Word Addin.

When it comes to “copying correctly”, then I have to say that currently numbers and issues will not be copied correctly from entry preview, if you just use copy/paste. Maybe exporting the bibliographic data via word addin or xml file, will be a workaround to that, but since I use JabRef with LaTeX mostly, I have not tested.

where do I find Jabref 5.7 ?
Do you recommend changing to LaTeX ? what is the difference ?

do you have any thought about the cons/pros of Jabref vs. Citavi (just watched this Youtube
look at this chart where do Jabref stands?

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I was traveling.

Jabref 5.7 has been released and you can get it from jabref.org

If you need a comparison, check out this one. Unfortunately it is in German language.

I personally like JabRef. There are some things it is good at and some things it struggles with. Support for Microsoft Word definitely could be better. This is because JabRef historically emerged from users using BibTeX.

If you prefer not to switch, you can always use JabRef and other library management software in tandem. E.g. Use JabRef to manage your library, attached PDF files and then use Zotero or Citavi to push your entries to Microsoft Word.

1 Like

If you have time at hand, you can change to LaTeX if you want, but don’t feel forced to. There are good things to Latex, but there are also good things about textprocessors like MS Word or LibreOffice. Here an introduction to LaTeX: Introduction to LaTeX

Of course, if you work in a team or your journal requires you to deliver in a certain format, you may have to consider alternatives regardless.

1 Like

We at least partially fixed the entry preview. For entry type “article”, there were some inconsistencies involving the number, issue, eid and pages fields.

In short: There are different standards (BibTeX, Biblatex and CSL) and the conversion from one standard to the other was erroneous, and also very confusing, because they use different words for the same thing or the other way round: same words for different things, which ultimately resulted in wrong entry previews.

We went with the following mapping (conversion logic):

BibTeX BibLaTeX CSL proposed logic, conditions and info
volume volume volume
number issue issue For conversion to CSL or BibTeX: BibLaTeX number takes priority and supersedes BibLaTeX issue
number number issue For conversion to CSL or BibTeX: BibLaTeX number takes priority and supersedes BibLaTeX issue
pages eid number Some journals put the article-number (= eid) into the pages field. If BibLaTeX eid exists, map to csl number and provide this to the style. If pages exists, map to csl page. If eid WITHIN the pages field exists, detect the eid and map to csl number. If both eid and pages exists, ideally map to both csl number and csl page respectively and provide this to the style. Ideally the citationstyle should be able to flexibly choose the rendering. If this is not possible then map biblatex eid to CSL page, since this is sufficient to comply with APA 7th edition, but will break other citationstyles (e.g. IEEE)
pages pages page “”

You can try out the new behaviour in the newest development version (make sure to create a backup of your library before trying) or wait for the next release of JabRef. :slight_smile:

1 Like