Key field entries missing in table

I’m running JabRef 3.8.2 on a Retina MacBookPro, 15", Late 2013, 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.14.1. All the key fields in my table are empty, even though all my entries, save a few, do have [author][year] keys. I’ve searched my preferences for some way to make them appear, but I am not able to do so. I’ve attached a screenshot showing the problem.

Help!!

35%20PM|690x334

Whoops. Here’s the graphic.

/var/folders/pp/bvx796bx10s4tj8sf7996p0c0000gn/T/ro.nextwave.Snappy/ro.nextwave.Snappy/9B066A18-0C12-49EF-9B7E-C782B3B92380.png

You need to generate these keys by selecting the entry(ies) and pressing the key symbol in the toolbar.

Hi Tobias. Thanks for the suggestion, but it does nothing. When I have an entry selected and I hit the key symbol, the program seems to take a second or so to do something and then nothing changes. See screenshot, which shows an entry with a pre-existing key after I had hit the key symbol. The key does not appear.

Ok, gauging from your screenshots, the entries actually have keys but they are not shown. I guess the problem is that the column reads key but it should be bibtexkey. You can change this under Preferences > Entry Table Columns.

I knew it had to be something simple, but indeterminable by an old professor like me!

Thanks Tobias!