Linked PDFs not opening anymore (v5.2)

Hello everyone,

I am running JabRef 5.2–2020-12-24–6a2a512 on Windows 10 10.0 amd64 using Java 14.0.2.
Since the update from version 5.0, I cannot open linked pdf files anymore. Clicking on the pdf symbol, the ‘documents’ folder opens instead of the pdf file. This happens both with relative and non-relative paths.
I have read that there was an issue with v5.1 - however, I cannot find the setting that these questions mention:

And the problem is not just about relative paths, but any paths.

Does anyone have an idea how to make the file links work again?

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you :slight_smile:

So what helped for me is activating, in my Preferences → Linked files → ‘Search and store files relative to library file location’. Now both relative and absolute file paths work again like a charm :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had exactly the same problem:
After updating to 5.2 the linked PDFs did not open anymore (only windows explorer)
Setting Preferences → Linked files → ‘Search and store files relaitve to library file location’ solved that problem :slight_smile:

In my case the “Setting Preferences → Linked files → ‘Search and store files relaitve to library file location” was already set and I keep having the problem.

The setting is meant for the case when you have your bib file and pdfs in the same folder. Otherwise, you have to use Main file directory or use the library settings.

Thank you Christoph. But, does that mean that I can not spread pdf files in many directories, since I have to choose one main file directory?

Thank you Christoph. But, does that mean that I can not spread pdf files in many directories, since I have to choose one main file directory?

Absolutely not. JabRef is flexible in these terms
This depends on where you store and how do you organize your pdfs.:
See the documentation as well:

• Do you have a single folder with all your pdfs across all libraries?
    ==> Then use Main file directory. In most cases, this is fine.

• Otherwise, use library file directory, this allows you to have a separate folder for each library.
    User file directory is a special case where each user account on the same PC will have it’s own folder for pdfs.

• Third option: You always store your pdfs next to your bib file in the same folder:

• Check “Search and store files relative to library file location”

And of course, the option of absolute paths: e.g. your library is located under Users/bibfiles… and your file is located in a complete different directory.

To know more about your problem it would be helpful if you add some details (OS,Location of the PDF file, JabRef folder setting, bib entry with file field).
If you recently migrated from an older version like 3.8.2 you might also be affected by this bug:

I only recently started using JabRef and did not experience this issue in 5.6. But today I updated to 5.7 and now I have this exact issue with all of my entries. I tried the developer version of 5.8 and it seems to also be an issue in that version as well.

If I downgrade and use the portable version of 5.6 the issue is gone. My settings are:
JabRef 5.7–2022-08-05–73c111c
Windows 10 10.0 amd64
Java 18.0.2
JavaFX 18.0.1+2

I’ve tried the solutions suggested here but they don’t seem to work. Are there any solutions coming up?

@Tobias_Johansen Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention!
this seems to be the same as Linked files with relative path not always found (unlike in older JabRef version) · Issue #8991 · JabRef/jabref · GitHub
Can you maybe also add some details to the issue?
E.g. the file path from one entry and e.g. the file directory?

Thanks for the response Christoph! Yes of course. I just read through that post and it seems my issue is similar, however I checked my file paths and the vast majority (all except one) are what they call “absolute paths” meaning they experienced no issue when opening the pdfs. I however, do.

My main file directory is Z/:Misc/Litt_Materialetek. (with backslashes instead of normal slash)

This folder has subfolders for Articles, Standards, slides etc.

Previously, each entry in JabRef would open regardless of which subfolder the pdf would be physically located in. All the paths for my entries look as the orange one in the screenshot below:

If I manually add each pdf again by selecting the small + and pointing at the corresponding file, the path will be updated with the white one shown.

The above is what the user AEgit from the post you linked calls a “partial relative path” and this in fact makes it work. But this solution is not really feasible with how many entries I have. If there is a way to bulk change these that would of course be fine.

Okay, thanks for the update! Really odd.
Can you try to use Quality-> Automatically set file links?

Thanks for the response, and sorry for the radio silence. I was out of office.

I tried what you said on two different entries; One that showed the full absolute path to the pdf. and one that only shows the filename.

Interestingly, it quickly found the one showing only the file name, but the one that had the entire path shown gave me this error message:

I should add that this is despite the fact that I can navigate to the shown folder and clearly see the file lying there.

@Tobias_Johansen Can you please try the latest dev version? We fixed some issues regarding file opening and file searching.

Remember to make a backup of your lbrary file before trying out this version

1 Like

Hello Christoph,

Whatever you’ve changed it seems to work! I downloaded the portable windows version of 5.8 from the link you provided and now I can open articles and folders without issues. Some long file paths are hard to read now as they appear like on the picture below, with no option to scroll horizontally - but that is not an issue as long as all types of paths work.

I have tested both a full absolute path meaning Z:\Misc\Litt_Materialetek\Artikler\FileName123
and a partial path meaning: Artikler\FileName123

The settings for the build that worked.
JabRef 5.8–2022-09-04–f240f6d
Windows 10 10.0 amd64
Java 18.0.2.1
JavaFX 18.0.2+2

Thank you for the help!

1 Like

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I had the exact same issue. With v5.6, everything worked without a problem. Upgraded to v5.7 and trying to open a linked file opened windows explorer. But in my case, I do store my pdfs in a single directory, so as mentioned earlier in this thread, changing ‘Options’ → ‘Preferences’ → ‘Linked files’ → ‘File Directory’ from ‘Search and store files relative to the library file location’ to ‘Main file directory’, where I then linked to my reference directory solved the problem. However, this was different from v5.6, so it took me some time to realize there was a problem. And then I only found the solution by finding this thread (thank you).

Just wanted to show that at least one more person had the same issue.

Hey all,

I still have the reported issue that the pdfs linked in jabref cannot be opened in an external pdf viewer by clicking on the icon or pressing F4 in JabRef.

JabRef 5.9–2023-01-08–76253f1a7
Linux 5.15.0-46-generic amd64
Java 19.0.1
JavaFX 19+11

I just checked different proposed solutions in the web.
My preferences for linked files are set to Search and store files relative to library file location. That is also where my bib-file is stored.

JabRef also recognizes the set directory and downloads public doi files into that folder.
Furthermore, in the file annotations sections, the annotations of the pdf are displayed. So there must be a working connection to the file.

Nevertheless I cannot open it through JabRef.

Any new solutions?

1. Please show the {} biblatex source
  2. Please show your configuration under
    • Library > LIbrary properties
    • Options > preferences > linked files
  3. Try following:
  4. Please choose a “default” external pdf viewer. This is not something you can configure with JabRef, but has to be done in accordance with your Operating System.

I also have the same problem, only new saved files have the pdf icon and open.
Looking at the biblatex source
The following does not open:
file = {/arts/em/vec/spher-vec-waveIEEE2009.pdf},
This one does open:
file = {:/arts/em/vector-w/Glazunov-application wave2014.pdf:PDF},

JabRef 5.9–2023-01-08–76253f1a7
Linux 5.19.0-31-generic amd64
Java 19.0.1
JavaFX 19+11

Thank you for your help

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my late answer.
Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the error but it must be an internal problem of ubuntu correctly mapping .desktops files and the xdg-open comand which is used by JabRef. If I set the programm for opening pdf-files in JabRef to my pdf-editor by hand, instead of using application/pdf it works.

Nevertheless, a clean reinstall and update of my OS from Ubuntu 20.04 to Ubuntu 22.04 solved the problem so far.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
The solution does not work for me if I set the program for opening pdf-files in JabRef to okular by hand.
Is it a fortiori that the file has to be in between : :PDF ?
old entries do not have this format whereas recently linked ones do.
I would prefer not to have this extra code in the bibtex file.

Thank you Jonas in advance,