Pages field - allow use of en dash

Some of the science journals (Zootaxa) I am hoping to submit articles to, advise that the range of pages used in a reference should be separated by en dash ’ – ’ and not the hyphen.

In the latest version, when I paste the en dash between the pages the warning triangle appears with the popup message “should contain a valid page range”. I am fairly certain in the jabref v2 & 3 series (and possibly, the earliest v4 series), the en dash could be used.
If I can only use the hyphen for the page range, I will have to edit every single reference once inserted in to my manuscript, which for obvious reasons, I would rather not have to do.
Can you set up the pages field to accept either the hypen (minus) ’ - ’ or the en dash ’ – '?

Thank you for your time considering this request

with best wishes
Neil

Please vote if you support this proposal:

• I would like to have this feature, too!
  • I don’t care.

0 voters

Related issue: https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/issues/4113

Hi Tobias,

Thank you the update and adding my request to others which are similar.

Nice to know there are other users with a similar requirement

with best wishes

Neil

Can you leave a screenshot or a more detailed explanation? My team and I want to improve this issue. But I didn’t reproduce this problem.

Hi Tobias,

I attach to screenprints of the required fields for an article, showing the pages field -

1. using the hyphen ‘-’ as the page separator
  2. using the en dash ‘–’ as the page separator, please note the warning message.

In normal text, I can use the asci code (U+2013) from my keyboard, I cannot do this within the pages field: as soon as I press <ctrl+shift+U> a new article is created with blank fields. So the only way I can insert the en dash is by copying from a special character table (or from normal text) and paste it into the pages field. As soon as this is done, the warning symbol appears.
I can still save the biblographic entry and use it normally in citations.
The warning symbol is just annoying when you are working with the article’s edit form.

I hope the attached images and above information is helpful

with best wishes
Neil

en%20dash

I got it thank you.I will try to solve this problem.

This is now implemented in the latest development version. Could you please check the build from http://builds.jabref.org/master/. Thanks! Please remember to make a backup of your library before trying-out this version.