Send entry and attach pdf?

Dear all,

is there a feature to send/attach also the pdf file via email?
If press “Send as email” just the bibtex entry is automatically transferred to my mail program (IBM notes 11)
but I have to attach the pdf by my own. Is not a real problem, I was just wondering since it would be very convenient for me. I use :
JabRef 5.5–2022-01-17–27a05c7
Windows 10 10.0 amd64
Java 16.0.2
JavaFX 17.0.1+1

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

This would be a nice enhancement of the send via e-mail feature, indeed.

• As a current workaround, maybe you could share your pdf files via drop-box like file-sharing tools (I personally use Syncthing for example), if your use case involves sharing within a trusted environment with a low number of third parties.

• Another way to make your workflow more efficient is to write XMP metadata to the PDFs, so that your third party does not have to import a library-file AND PDF-file into their library and then to link it, but only have to drag and drop the PDF :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late answer. You can enable “Automatically open folders of attached files” to ease drag’n’drop on Windows:

This feature is turned on as default. Maybe, we should turn on it as default on Windows only.

The feature was introduced 2011. In the JavaDoc (at jabref/SendAsEMailAction.java at e3e44a3e25ba3cff2a873eba80a02436b36ed412 · JabRef/jabref · GitHub), there is some explanation:

Microsoft Outlook does not support attachments via mailto. Therefore, the folder(s), where the file(s) belonging to the entry are stored, are opened. This feature is disabled by default and can be switched on at preferences/external programs.