Customize Word 2007 XML export filter

I’d like to export my .bib-File for use with Word (2013). Currently, I’m still using JabRef 2.10.
Problem is, that I use customized entry types in JabRef and they are not recognized when generating the XML-file with the built in function. Everything is set to “Misc” as type and therefore, fields are not parsed correctly.
I tried to find the corresponding .layout-file for XML-generation and adapt it to my needs but this was not possible since this function seems to be an implicit part of JabRef. Are there any hints on the syntax/structure of such a customized export filter for XML files?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!
I suppose you are aware of the documentation which can be found here: http://help.jabref.org/en/CustomExports

However, creating an export formatter for a valid Micrsoft Bib-XML file is not trivial if you have not worked with XML yet.

But perhaps we can improve the standard export somehow to better deal with custom types. Which field have you defined for your custom type and which fields are missing in the generated XML?

Regards
Matthias

Yes, I’m indeed aware of the documentation concerning export formatters and I’m trying to make use of it.
Anyway, problem is, that my customized entry types (instead of “book”, “article”, “report” I use custom names) appear as “Misc” in the XML file. So, the formatter should take the entry types and not change them. Is this possible? I have to adapt XML parsing in MS Word, but this is not too big a deal.
Second problem, for example, with entry type “patent”. In BibTeX there is the field “number”, which I use for the patent number. However, this is not translated to “PatentNumber” in XML, instead it appears as “issue”.

Regards,

Matthias

Hello Matthias,

I am currently working on improving the XML export for MS Word bilbliographies, as there are some things not getting exported correctly. I could confirm your export of the patent.
I am not sure if is possible to include the original type. Normally the type of the bibtex entry gets mapped to the type of the corresponding Word reference entry type. I will take a look at this.

If you find more errors regarding not exported fields, please add them in this issue, so that I can have a better overview
https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/issues/1750

Regards
Christoph

Hello Christoph,

Thanks a lot! That’s good news! If you think about considering custom entry types: would it be possible to have them defined in a XML-type of way (i.e. name of entry type and according standard-BibTeX fieldnames) in order to make this a generic feature. This would be somehow similar to the way it’s done in MS Word. There you can modify the file SOURCES.xml in order to change and/or modify types.

I will post additional issues concerning MS Word XML export in the issue suggested.

Matthias

Hello Matthias,

some of you problems/features make it into the JabRef 3.6 release, which is due in the next day(s).
For the other things/current limiations I have created an issue to keep track of the things regarding the Office 2007 xml export/import:

https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/issues/1851

Regards,
Christoph