How to "Conference Paper" and "Presentation"

There is was a presentation on a conference.
Because of that there is a “conference paper” published in a conference proceeding/journal: Not the slides. It is like a tiny article.
And there exists a “presentation”: A PDF file with the slides - some cracy people using PowerPoint here :grinning:

How would you represent this with BibLaTeX? I like the idea to know the difference between this two types when looking at the entry-type. But currently I see no better way to use @InProceedings for both of them.

The conference paper:

@InProceedings{Hirt2018a,
  author     = {Julian Hirt and Christian Buhtz and Katrin Balzar and Gabriele Meyer},
  title      = {Entwicklung und Validierung eines geographischen Suchfilters für Publikationen in pflegewissenschaftlichen High Impact Journals von Pflegewissenschaftlerinnen und Pflegewissenschaftlern aus dem deutschsprachigen Raum},
  year       = {2018},
  maintitle  = {Vielfalt leben - Offenheit erhalten. Multiperspektivität und Interdisziplinarität in Pflege - Praxis - Wissenschaft},
  eventtitle = {Forschungswelten 2018},
  eventdate  = {2018-04-19/2018-04-20},
  venue      = {St. Gallen, Switzerland},
}

The presentation/slides

@InProceedings{Hirt2018b,
  author     = {Julian Hirt and Christian Buhtz and Katrin Balzar and Gabriele Meyer},
  title      = {Publikationen aus der Pflegewissenschaft in Zeitschriften mit hohem Impact Factor. Entwicklung und Validierung eines geografischen Suchfilters},
  year       = {2018},
  maintitle  = {Vielfalt leben - Offenheit erhalten. Multiperspektivität und Interdisziplinarität in Pflege - Praxis - Wissenschaft},
  eventtitle = {Forschungswelten 2018},
  eventdate  = {2018-04-19/2018-04-20},
  venue      = {St. Gallen, Switzerland},
}

Why not add both files to the same entry? Then you have both the slides and the conference paper at hand.

Because I want to cite them separatly. I want to have both entries in the bibliography.

Since you want to differentiate the communication type based on the entry type:

• For the paper, I would use inproceedings (since the paper is published in the proceedings). My understanding is that you should not use proceedings: according to biblatex documentation, proceedings is for “a single-volume conference proceedings” (i.e. the whole book), while inproceedings is for “an article in a conference proceedings” (your case).
  • For the presentation, I would use conference (since the slides were shown in the conference). Note that for biblatex, conference is an alias to inproceedings).
1 Like

That sounds nice to me.

Do you see another entry-typ for a poster also?

Not among the standard biblatex entry types…
You may check the biblatex manual for additional information: http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/biblatex/doc/biblatex.pdf

You still could create your own custom entry type. However, you then probably have to adapt the style.
Or you choose “unpublished”.