JabRef 5.0 works differently in two computers with the same Windows 10

I have created a new column called “obs” in the main table. It works perfectly in a Windows 10 computer I have at home.

I have a Windows 10 machine in my office, and the same JabRef version installed. The same JabRef file works in the computer in my office, but the column “obs” is nowhere to be seen.

What I do is basicalis to add a new entry the {}Bibtex source, like this

@Article{Hart2005,
author = {Sergiu Hart},
journal = {Econometrica},
title = {\href{https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0262.2005.00625.x} {Adaptive Heuristics}},
year = {2005},
month = {sep},
number = {5},
pages = {1401–1430},
volume = {73},
doi = {10.1111/j.1468-0262.2005.00625.x},
file = {:Hart - Adaptive Heuristics.pdf:PDF},
groups = {AdaptiveHeuristics},
obs = {Adaptive Heuristics},
publisher = {The Econometric Society}
}

What should I do in order to get the information I want under the “Obs” column in the main Table.

Thanks a lot.

Maybe you need to ask JabRef to add the column “obs” to the table of entries?
Options > Preferences > Entry table columns.
At the bottom of the table entitled “Name”, type in “obs”, then click on the “+” sign.

If this works, please, click on the “solution” box, that will be helpful to other users having the same issue.
And if it does not work, let us know to, so that you can get additional help.

Thanks a lot. It works.

I didn’t understand what the problem was. At home I had JabRef 4.3.1 and I had added the extra column (named “Obs”) and it was working OK. Then I upgraded JabRef to 5.0, and the new version just borrowed the previous format of my JabRef file.

In my office I upgraded JabRef to 5.0, but I am not sure whether I had version 4.3.1 formatted to accept the extra column, or not. So if I understand the problem well, this may be a frequent problem for newcomers because a given file may work differently in different computers, as JabRef may have different settings in different computers.

By the way, there seems to exist a little bug in version 5.0, as far as the “{}BibteX source” window is concerned. Many times when I try to add the new column “obs = {…}”, I can open the window but it just gets stuck. It does not allow me to write anything in this window. The source code is there, but I can not edit it. I close down JabRef, start it again, and it works properly for a while. Should I do anything to avoid the recurrence of this small problem?

Thanks for this brilliant piece of software. I will certainly donate.

2 Likes

Good! And thank you for your feedback.

I am not able to reproduce your issue with JabRef 5.0, so it is difficult to help you.
Please could you try the last version? (https://builds.jabref.org/master/)
If your issue is still there, could you open an issue (Issues · JabRef/jabref · GitHub) and provide a minimum working example?

Note: the “obs” field can be added to one of the tabs. See Options > Set up general fields. Then, no need to do the editing in the source tab.

Thanks! I am sure the JabRef development team will make a good use of it!