PDF column in entry table

I am joining the group again after several years, so thank you all and all the best for the new year. I have been using jabref for many years but I keep using a very old version because I cannot find in the new versions (I am trying 5.8, debian installer, on a Linux Mint 21 with Mate). In old versions I find extremely useful to have two “file” columns: I use one for PDF files and one for my comments, generally a simple Markdown file (extension *.md). If I understand correctly, in this version I can use only one file column. Do I understand correctly or am I missing something? I am very interested also because each year I offer a seminar on bibliography to our PhD students. Incidentally, I have written a couple of pages on Jabref in my book on digital humanities.
Thank you again for your great work.
Guido Milanese (Italy)

Felice anno nuovo to you, and thanks for taking another look at JabRef!

To answer your question, there is currently only one file column. However, if you add multiple files to one entry, JabRef will offer a dropdown menu on clicking:

As you mention custom markdown files, you could also take advantage of the feature that in newer versions, JabRef offers markdown support in the comment field! So you could enter your markdown directly in the comment field.

I cannot find in the new versions (I am trying 5.8, debian installer, on a Linux Mint 21 with Mate)

You could install JabRef as snap, or as Flatpak in addition to using the Debian installer. We currently lack the capacity to provide a version for the main Debian repository

Iam very interested also because each year I offer a seminar on bibliography to our PhD students. Incidentally, I have written a couple of pages in my book on digital humanities.

That sounds very cool! Do you have a link or (a reference :wink: ) at hand for the chapter/page of the book?
While the help page is not always up to date regarding the latest features, it is nonetheless a good starting point.

Furthermore, we would be happy to assist you with any further questions or insights!

Best Regards from Germany,
Christoph

Thank you. This is the link to my book:

and on Amazon:

My message was probably not so clear, because you write:

You could install JabRef as snap, or as Flatpak in addition to using the Debian installer. We currently lack the capacity to provide a version for the main Debian repository

The DEB file is perfect, thank you!

I’ll try the new version (I have already installed it, keeping the old one under another name). About markdown files, I really prefer to keep them in a separate file, in order to keep a library of “comments” to my readings (I have +5000 Bibtex items, and I can’t remember if I have written a note about a particular title).

Thank you again for your kind help and for this great work!
GM
PS Should you contact me directly feel free to write in German – as any decent classical philologist I can read/write/speak German.

If I understand correctly, in this version I can use only one file colum

I have to correct myself, as I just found out that this indeed possible. For each additional file type/extension (External file types in the preferences) you can add a column to the entry table as well. It’s just not well documented.

In Preferences → Entry Table tick the checkbox “Extra columns”
Then you can look in the dropdown for “extrafile:Markdown” and with a click on the “+” to the right you can add it to the table.
Afterward, you can hold down the left mouse button and move the column to the place in the main table where you want to have it.

1 Like