Option to position editor as a vertical panel

I would like an option to reposition the editor as a vertical panel next to the entry table (e.g., on the right), rather than below it, to see more data at once and make it easier to read by reducing the number of characters displayed per line.

I most often want often want this when previewing entries or viewing/editing bibtex source, which can involve a lot of data in long lines and paragraphs (Note: I include abstracts in the preview). The most important item is Bibtex source since it contains all the data and is the most difficult to read in a wide view.

All of the editor tabs may not fit in a vertical panel, but it could have, for example:

• a tab showing all editable fields, perhaps in sections matching the current tabs.
  • a tab for the entry preview and other display fields such as related articles.
  • a tab for bibtex source

Please vote if you support this proposal:

• I would like to have this feature, too!
  • I don’t care.
0 voters

If you need more space for the main table, you can close the entry editor.

You can also put the entry preview into its own tab via a setting in the preferences, like I prefer it to, which will make the other tabs have more space.

Finally, you can make the JabRef main window smaller and limit it to a certain size, which will wrap text in the entry editor. This will allow you to reduce the number of characters displayed per line, although I am not sure if it is really easier to read that way :smiley: Choose your poison.