Year has been replaced by date

I’ve discovered that the “year” field has disappeared from the entry editor (unless set explicitly in the code) and replaced by “date.” Is there an explanation for this, considering that most .bst styles (say, AMS, i.e., essentially, the styles) use “year” and ignore “date”? In fact, it’s a must field for them. Can this go back to the required fields?

Your library is in biblatex format (and biblatex uses “date” and not “year”) and I guess you are expecting a BibTeX file.
Go to LIbrary -> Library properties, and change the library mode (2nd item). That’s it!

Happy JabRefing!

JabRef is helping you on a regular basis? Please, find your way of giving back.

This does not seem to work for me… I was in biblatex mode and changed to Bibtex as suggested (and even restarted JabRef)… but when I copy-paste entries, they are still in biblatex format. Do I somehow need to refresh / regenerate the library or something like that?

You may need to cleanup your library first. Go to Quality > Cleanup entries (Alt + F8) > ... then select convert to Bibtex format. This will convert all the entries you selected, so take care not to convert the ones that shall remain in biblatex mode. It’s not just about the date and year field. This conversion also encompases other fields.

Edit: Better to create a backup of your library first.

Dears, this works perfect for me. Thank you for your solution (stucked for an hour … )