Cannot fetch journal name when using "Get bibliographic data from DOI", a button in General tab

I had been happy with Jabref’s utility to fetch a good entry from DOI, until recently I found there was no journal name appearing in my references generated by BibTeX. Tracing this problem, I found that it was Jabref that cannot fetch the journal name using a DOI. I upgrade Jabref from 5.0 to 5.3. It doesn’t work.

1 Like

Thank you Zhou Yufei for reporting this!
The issue is being investigated (Journal names are not imported · Issue #8167 · JabRef/jabref · GitHub). It seems to depend on the database interrogated by JabRef.
Something similar is being observed for Booktitle: DOI title fetcher seems to miss "booktitle" since 2021-10-16 · Issue #8159 · JabRef/jabref · GitHub

The reason seems to be that the attribute has been renamed to journaltitle from journal (in JaRef 5.1 and later). Is there any way to switch back to journal or provide an opportunity to manually configure? The attribute journal is expect from other tools such as Docear4Word.

Hey @Zaggl ,

in October 2021 some external database had problems and indeed it was not possible to fetch journal names, but these problems have been solved, as far as i am aware.

The problem you describe with differing journal and journaltitle is another matter.

Probably the Solution for fetching journal and journaltitle:

• changing from biblatex to bibtex library mode before fetching might solve your problems.

• Alternatively you could use the biblatex to bibtex converter under Quality > Cleanup entries (Alt + F8) after having fetched it in biblatex mode:

Why this is the solution:

I was able to fetch the journal name using the DOI you provided:

10.1103/physrevlett.127.177801

In Bibtex library mode this was the output:

@Article{Mortensen_2021,
  author    = {Kell Mortensen and Anine L. Borger and Jacob J.{\hspace{0.167em}}K. Kirkensgaard and Qian Huang and Ole Hassager and Kristoffer Almdal},
  journal   = {Physical Review Letters},
  month     = {oct},
  number    = {17},
  pages     = {177801},
  title     = {Small-Angle Neutron Scattering Study of the Structural Relaxation of Elongationally Oriented, Moderately Stretched Three-Arm Star Polymers},
  volume    = {127},
  year      = {2021},
  doi       = {10.1103/physrevlett.127.177801},
  publisher = {American Physical Society ({APS})},
}

journal can be fetched.

In Biblatex library mode, this is the output:

@Article{Mortensen_2021,
  author       = {Kell Mortensen and Anine L. Borger and Jacob J.{\hspace{0.167em}}K. Kirkensgaard and Qian Huang and Ole Hassager and Kristoffer Almdal},
  date         = {2021-10},
  journaltitle = {Physical Review Letters},
  title        = {Small-Angle Neutron Scattering Study of the Structural Relaxation of Elongationally Oriented, Moderately Stretched Three-Arm Star Polymers},
  doi          = {10.1103/physrevlett.127.177801},
  number       = {17},
  pages        = {177801},
  volume       = {127},
  publisher    = {American Physical Society ({APS})},
}

In Biblatex mode, journal is replaced with journaltitle, which is the standard field for “the name of a journal, a newspaper, or some other periodical”, according to Biblatex documentation p. 22 and 32 (CTAN: Package BibLaTeX).

1 Like

Thanks! That does it.