Problem by manually assigning entries to groups

I use JabRef since 2009 and congratulate the whole community for the project. From 2013 to now I used version 2.10 and it was perfect to my goals. Since I now need to use Windows11, I uploaded to JabRef 5.10, but I’m finding some little issues that are bringing big problem. The most boring issue: whenever I ascribe manually an entry to a group, the group interface (the “tree” on the left) runs to the end of the list of groups and I have to scroll up. How can it be changed, so that the “tree” could be fixed, with the group to which the entry has been ascribed to being visualized on the screen in the group interface.
Thanks to all.

This happens to me using JabRef 5.10 on openSUSE Tumbleweed, so it is not a Windows-specific issue. To clarify, this happens when dragging and dropping entries to a group when there any many more groups beneath (nested or not) it in the tree. Dragging entries to a group at or near the top assigns the entries, as expected, but makes the view scroll to the bottom of the tree.

I don’t know the solution and, so far, the only way I have found to deal with this is to collapse as many groups as possible while dragging entries to a target group. I believe the unwanted scrolling does not happen when all the groups in the tree fit on screen.

First of all thanks for using JabRef so long and continuing to use it :smile:

The scrolling was implemented here following the discussion in this issue: Groups panel does not scroll when group is assigned to another group as subgroup · Issue #2869 · JabRef/jabref · GitHub

A follow up tasks exists Quirks with groups panel scrolling when adding groups as subgroups or adding items to groups · Issue #9754 · JabRef/jabref · GitHub

Thank you very much for your hints. Unfortunately I had to downgrade to JabRef 5.9 to have this problem solved. For the work with large libraries it is impossible to go on working with 5.10 as it is now. The group interface has been a decisive criterium for my choice of JabRef.

Cheers,

Thanks for your reply, we will handle this as a high priority bug and plan to make a hotfix the next days.

Fixed version should be available here: builds.jabref.org/pull/10488/merge
Please try and report if this fixes the issue.

This seems to have fixed the issue for me.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the fast and efficient reaction. The problem is fixed for me too, but I need to work more to confirm it.